Dave Cooke offers coaching programs for parents to help them better understand the issue of addiction, to better manage its impact on the family, and introduce fresh approaches for the conflicts and struggles that arise from it.
- Addiction education: Few parents are prepared to deal with the issue of a child’s addiction. While every family situation is unique, it is essential parents first have a solid foundation of knowledge of addiction before tackling issues specific to their family.
- Proactive and responsive parenting: With knowledge comes awareness. Parents are less likely to make reactive decisions when the bring a heightened level of awareness and insight into their interactions with their addicted child. Dave’s coaching approach provides parents with the skills to engage with clarity, consistency, and confidently without getting tangled into confrontational drama.
- Engages and unites both parents: When mom and dad are not on the same page and working in unison, the person in control of the situation is the addicted child. Until parents reclaim control of the situation, nothing will change. Dave is passionate about having parents come together, in honest, open collaboration, and facilitate finding agreement in their of responses to the issues.
- Assessment: This is a two part process. First, each parent completes a very short, concise confidential questionnaire to help Dave better understand the current situation from the perspective of each parent. Next, a 30-60 minute coaching session to review what was shared, to confirm the key objectives for an ongoing coaching engagement, and to identify structure and process for a coaching process. In this initial call, parents will also receive suggestions for dealing with the more immediate issues discussed. If everyone is in agreement to working together, a subsequent coaching call will be scheduled and a coaching activity will be assigned to be applied before the next interaction.
- Joint coaching: Every session runs between 30 and 60 minutes. The focus on this sessions is to walk parents through the issue they are focusing on, to share the results or experiences of their assigned activities, and to come to agreement on future actions or tackle the next issue or concern on the list. After every coaching session, there will be a take home activity for parents to work on, measure their experiences and results, and be prepared to discuss at the next session.
- Individual coaching. Sometimes a individual time is necessary. Or, a single parent is looking to participate in our coaching program. For individual sessions, the process is the same as it is for joint coaching activities.
Scheduling a Session:
- I am available for coaching sessions as needed. I am based out of Scottsdale, AZ (MST).
- Schedule time with me through this link to my scheduler: https://calendly.com/davecooke (select “Coaching call with Dave Cooke”)
100Pedals is a 501c3, non-profit organization committed to assisting anyone who asks us for support. For that reason, we do not have a set fee for our coaching services. However, we do request parents consider making a donation to 100Pedals after their sessions to help support our work and facilitate paying it forward for others. Donations are requests not requirements. Anything contributed to our work is a wonderful gift that is greatly appreciated. Donation requests are sent via email at the end of each coaching session.
What Other Parents Say About their Coaching Experiences?
“You have had an impact on my life in ways you cannot imagine. You have made such a difference. I will always be grateful for what you have done for me.” (M.T.)
“David Cooke is a great motivator and very knowledgeable to families battling addiction!” (C.W.)
“And my ‘new normal’ now includes a feeling of moving forward in a positive, productive, and loving manner. My steps towards healing are headed in a great direction…I wanted you to know what a positive light you have been for me.” (S.K.)
“Dave, one of the most impressive aspects of your program is that you help people in this situation to get unstuck. Too many times these parents just get stuck. And, you show them how to do something positive for themselves. This is so important!” (L.S)
“Dave, 100Pedals completely changed my life.” (A.B.)